Table of Contents
What is Race the River?
The San Antonio River Authority in partnership with the San Antonio River Foundation are excited to launch the Race the River Paddling Series. Amateur and experienced paddling racers from all over are invited to participate in all 4 races across the San Antonio River Basin. The series will give new and pro racers a paddling experience of the Mission Reach, SASPAMCO, and Goliad paddling trails and the first ever nighttime race on the historic Downtown River Walk. An awards ceremony with prizes for the top three finishers in each category in each race will be held following each race. These races will draw together paddling racers across the region and state to visit and become part of our river community.
Don't miss out, click the link below and register now!
This category is for you if you participated in a previous River Authority race or if you have competed with TCKRA in a paddle race. Expect stiff competition from your fellow experienced racers as you push for a podium finish.
This category is for you if you are newer to paddle sports or an intermediate paddler looking to test your skills along a fun and quick course. Get a taste of competitive paddle sports and slight competition as you paddle for a top spot on the podium.
Terms and Conditions
- All participants enter this race of the Race the River Paddling Race Series at their own risk. The San Antonio River Authority, its officers, directors, employees, agents, volunteers, licensees, successors, and assigns, as well as associated with the San Antonio River Foundation and any other race judges, officials, and sponsors, will be released and held harmless from and for any and all claims, demands, actions, and causes of action whatsoever and will not be liable for accidents to personnel or damage to any property or equipment.
- All participants must register online and must check-in and sign a participation waiver before the start of each race. A parent or legal guardian must sign the waiver for participants under 18.
- The minimum age for solo participants is 16 years of age. For tandem teams, the minimum is 10 years of age or older, and at least one of the two participants on a tandem team must be at least 18 years of age.
- You will receive an email from the River Authority confirming your online registration. River Authority will provide all necessary information to participants through email after online registration is completed.
- A registration fee per person per race is required. The registration fees will be a donation to the San Antonio River Foundation, which is the nonprofit organization associated with the River Authority.
- Entry fees are final and there are no refunds or deferments.
- In the event this race is postponed by the San Antonio River Authority:
- Postponement dates will be published as soon as feasible.
- Postponements will not result in refunds or deferments
- During online registration, participants can pick a custom boat number. Please provide three options, in order of preference. Boat numbers are up to four numerals long without leading zeros. If all preferred choices are selected or you registered after the custom bib deadline of May 14th, a number will be assigned at random.
- It is the responsibility of participants to affix the assigned boat number to each side of the bow of their boat. If a participant chooses to use their own numbers, the numbers must be at least 4″ in height and be made of reflective material of a contrasting color from the boat. Boat numbers will be checked prior to the start of each race. If a boat finishes the race without numbers, the racer may be disqualified.
- All race day information, including location, check-in details, race start time, and other pertinent information will be emailed to participants prior to the race.
- It is not the responsibility of River Authority race officials to determine whether a race participant is able to safely continue, or pull out of the race, due to health or other related issues. It is the sole responsibility of each race participant to make the determination to inform race officials if and when a solo participant or tandem team has a serious medical condition, if their location on the river is in doubt, or if their craft is damaged and unable to safely continue. Once contacted, race officials will determine if it is necessary to initiate a rescue effort. If any participant, at any time, feels that an emergency requires a rescue effort, he/she should immediately contact 911.
- Relays in any form are prohibited.
- All supplies, equipment, and items of repair must be in the possession of each solo participant or tandem team at the start of the race.
- Solo participants and/or tandem teams may not receive help or assistance of any kind during any of the races associated with the San Antonio River Basin Race Series, except for the following:
- Support crews may provide the participants food, ice, drink, or medical materials only at the designated checkpoints. Only re-usable mesh bags may be used to provide the participants food, ice, drink, or medical materials. Food Items may be individually waterproofed in seal-a-meal type bag or zip-lock bag
- Intentional interference with the progress of another participant during the race will be grounds for disqualification.
The use of pace boats (i.e., crafts that are paddled or powered that follow or lead participants for the purpose of providing any type of support, including wake riding, drafting, or accompanying participants to “keep them up”) is not permitted and may result in disqualification.
- Deliberate littering of the river is grounds for disqualification. Participants should keep their trash in their craft and hand it over to persons at designated checkpoints and/or at the completion of the race.
- Participants may be subject to spot checks at any time by race officials and failure to follow the rules as outlined in the terms and conditions section may result in disqualification.
- Formal protests made by any participant must be submitted to the River Authority by no later than 12:00 p.m. on the Wednesday immediately following the race.
- In formulating the rules that govern the San Antonio River Basin Race Series, every effort has been made to foresee all situations and problems that might arise; however, officials of the San Antonio River Authority retain the right to change or amend these rules at any time without liability or recourse from any party regardless of the circumstances. Should such changes or amendments be made, all entrants will receive notification of same.